A 14-year-old boy is the latest shooing victim in Wilmington, which has seen five people wounded by gunfire since Saturday.
The boy was in Wilmington’s Canby Park when he was wounded by gunfire about 6:45 p.m. Monday, Wilmington Police said.
First responders could be seen near the 600 block of S. Union St. loading the victim onto an ambulance, which took the child to an area hospital. Police did not release his medical condition, but said the boy was stable.
A crowd of onlookers could be seen on the sidewalk watching as the victim was being cared for by first responders. Bloody clothing and medical debris rested near the sidewalk curb.
Monday’s shooting capped three days of gun violence in Wilmington which resulted in three people being shot on Sunday and another on Saturday.
Sunday’s shooting included two 17-year-old boys and a 22-year-old man who was in critical condition. Saturday’s shooting left a 43-year-old man in critical condition.
The number of people shot in Delaware’s largest city has been inching up after months of low gun violence. Sixteen people were injured by gunfire last month in Wilmington – that was the most people shot in the city in one month since September 2021 when 17 people were shot in that month.
Despite the recent increase in shootings, fewer people have been wounded by gunfire in Wilmington so far this year when compared to last year at the same time.
There have been 48 people shot, seven fatally, so far this year in Wilmington. Last year, which tallied a record number of homicides, saw 59 people shot, 13 of them fatally as of June 6.
Delaware Online’s shooting database:Tracking gun violence in Delaware
Anyone with information about Monday’s shooting should contact Detective Michael Hayman at (302) 576-3963.
Contact Esteban Parra at (302) 324-2299, firstname.lastname@example.org or Twitter @eparra3.