Tuesday brought nearly 21,000 Delawareans to the polls for elections impacting kids, schools and their communities.
School board races in New Castle County hosted some of the heaviest competition this year, but ballots were cast across every county May 9.
Delmar and Milford schools technically dominated in turnout across districts at 10% and 8% of registered voters, respectively, according to results released about 10 p.m. However, Red Clay’s 4.4% carried nearly double the votes of both combined at over 4,700.
Average turnout was just under 5%.
Preliminary results now reveal the latest additions to Delaware’s school boards, most set to serve for four years in these new seats. The results remain unofficial until certification.
New Castle County
Appoquinimink School District
- Tashiba Graham — Winner (970, 39.2% of the vote)
- Timothy Johns (537 votes)
- Raymond Petkevis (966 votes)
Christina School District
- Christine Gilbert (1,226 votes)
- Douglas Danger Manley — Winner (2,298, 65.2% of vote)
- Y.F. Lou — Winner (2,395, 67.8% of the vote)
- Yong Peng (1,138 votes)
Red Clay Consolidated School District
- Aje English-Wynn — Winner (2,616, 57% of the vote)
- John Shulli (1,973 votes)
- Carlucci Coelho (1,925 votes)
- Jose Matthews — Winner (2,741, 58.7% of the vote)
Smyrna School District
- Marie Fontaine St. Pierre (161 total votes)
- Bobbi Jo Webber — Winner (535, 76.9% of the vote)
Brandywine School District
Incumbent candidates Shanika Perry and Ralph Ackerman were unopposed in districts A and C, respectively.
Colonial School District
Candidates Ronald Handy Sr. and Ja’Lisa White were unopposed in districts A and C, respectively.
MEET THE CANDIDATES:School board election guide for New Castle County
Capital School District
Incumbent Sean P.M. Christiansen was unopposed for the at-large seat.
Caesar Rodney School District
- Tawanna Prophet Brinkley (225 votes)
- Nicole Hill — Winner (557, 54.2% of the vote)
- Emily Phelan (245 votes)
Lake Forest School District
Incumbent candidate Jordan McCloskey was unopposed for his at-large seat.
Milford School District
- Danielle Deinert (822 votes)
- Ashlee Connell — Winner (1,050, 56.1% of the vote)
Candidate Victor “Butch” Elzey III was unopposed for District A, and Jennifer Massotti was unopposed for a one-year term in District B.
MEET THE CANDIATES:Kent County school board candidate guide
Cape Henlopen School District
- Jessica A. Tyndall — Winner ( 2,516, 64.1% of the vote)
- Shawn L. Lovenguth (1,408 votes)
Delmar School District
- Shane Bowden — Winner (334, 59.6% of the vote)
- Dawn Turner (226)
Indian River School District
- Leo J. Darmstadter III (139 votes)
- Ivan D. Neal — Winner (266, 52.6% of the vote)
- Michael Bellerose (101 votes)
Laurel School District
- Ivy Bonk (86 votes)
- Sabrina Isler — Winner (176, 67.2% of the vote)
Seaford School District
- Armore Rice — Winner (380, 45.6% of the vote)
- Stephanie Smith (311 votes)
- David Tull (142 votes)
Woodbridge School District
Incumbent Jeffrey Allen was unopposed for an at-large seat.
MEET THE CANDIDATES:School board election guide for Sussex County