After a status hearing, First Judicial District Attorney Alexis King said “we will likely be recommending a sentence of between 20 and 30 years.”
“Given that the victims in this case have more than one view of an appropriate outcome, and this trial court heard the evidence presented, we believe this hearing is the best path to securing justice for everyone involved,” King said.
He was sentenced December 13.
The sentence reduction would not overturn Aguilera-Mederos’ conviction.
Colgan said the state’s sentencing laws need to be changed.
“The law doesn’t really distinguish between people like Mr. Medeiros, who is not a danger to society, and other people who are sentenced to life who are a danger to society,” Colgan said. “The law needs to make those kind of exceptions and understand there is a difference between Mr. Medeiros and those other kinds of people.”
Polis’ office told CNN that it is reviewing Aguilera-Medros’ clemency request.
“We just received Rogel Aguilera-Mederos’ application, and our legal team is currently reviewing it. Once we reach a decision, we will make an announcement,” press secretary Conor Cahill told CNN in an email.
In her statement last week, King said she and her team had spoken to the surviving victims of the crash and the families of those who died about the possibility of Aguilera-Medros being resentenced.
CNN’s Raja Razek, Jennifer Feldman, Melissa Alonso, Amir Vera and Michelle Watson contributed to this story.