Sheriff’s deputies and firefighters were dispatched to the fire on Ridge St. in Sault Ste. Marie on Christmas morning when the woman woke up to the smell of smoke and yelled for help.
A passerby heard her calls and stopped to call 911, according to the sheriff’s office.
The woman did not hear smoke detectors, the sheriff’s office said. She has since been treated and released for smoke inhalation.
Authorities said the house “was a total loss with nothing but the shell remaining.”
“While talking to the family they are very grateful and realize this is a true Christmas Miracle,” the Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office said. “It all depends on your perspective. The house is gone, but she is still here. … Thank you all and GOD BLESS!!!!”